Monday, February 8, 2010

This is It (Not a movie review)

Four days. Not bad. I'm rather proud, actually. But don't expect this to be a pattern because I just may fall off the face of the earth. Again. It's been known to happen.

Easter is April 4, I believe. Which means Ash Wednesday is February 17. Which means in exactly 8 and a half days at this time I will probably be cranky. In 13 days, the gloves will probably come off. Day 39 will be, well, I'm sorry world. I cannot and will not be held accountable for my actions.

Let me explain. This year for Lent I will be giving up SWEETS. I will not be the only person foregoing dessert. But it is still a huge, major, massive, stinkin' deal for me. I'm already lamenting my surefire demise. It will kill me. Okay, maybe not, but it's still how I feel.

Here are 3 reasons as to why this is a big deal:

1. I have never participated in Lent. For whatever reason, it was never observed in my family or church growing up. I knew of the Fish Fridays in school and that my friends were supposedly giving things up, but it was never highlighted in my life.
2. This girl has gots to have her dessert. I have a really bad habit of needing something sweet to top off meal or an evening. Isn't there scientific research that proves chocolate does a body good?
3. I love to bake. I spend a LOT of time online perusing recipes, bookmarking and scribbling down ones I'd love to try. (For cooking, I use recipes for ideas. I rarely cook from a recipe. However, baking is a whole other world. Measurements are generally recommended and not "to taste," as in cooking.) It's sad that I know the last treat I will concoct before Lent begins are the oh-my-gosh-are-they-yummy Blackout Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache (a la Cheesecake factory's Linda's Fudge Cake) for my good friend's birthday on Saturday.

So while the above reasons will make it difficult, here are the reasons I'm doing it, in no particular order:

1. Spring Cleaning. I have never really been a participant in New Year's Resolutions but do go through seasons where I am really determined to accomplish something. Last spring/summer it was running. I was half-way done with my half-marathon training when I was sidelined by injury and, well, life. I had never run so much or so well! I am looking to kick-start my wellness again and figured that giving up so many calories something that I really enjoy would be a great start. And if I could lose a couple pounds without really trying? Bonus!
2. Quiet Time. I am looking forward to using that time to get into the Word more during times I'd normally be looking for recipes or whipping up batches of goodies. It's something I've always struggled with, and although cooking/baking does not take priority, I just like the idea that I'm freeing up more time so I will have even fewer excuses.
3. Competition. I'm really competitive. With others, with myself, with the computer in online boggle... I hate to lose and hate when I don't follow through with what I say. Still waiting to run that half-marathon... This is something that will be incredibly difficult yet totally achievable if I stay the course. So far only the Boy knows of this plan (actually, was this his idea?) but now I'm letting the world you three know, too.

We're still figuring out the rules: What counts as sweets? Just confections and candy-type things? How about honey on toast? Or sugar in tea or coffee? Frozen yogurt/sorbet? It's fruit, you know.

But the most major question of all: Do margaritas count as sweets? I shudder to think...


P.S. I have a margarita recipe that is amazing, no mixer involved. It's been called The Truth Serum before. Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment