Saturday, March 7, 2009

Easy-Peasy Cherry Cobbler

In the mood to bake but without the fuss, I whipped up a super simple and satisfying treat.

Alliteration anyone?

With a can of cherry pie filling as my muse, I briefly scoured my family's trusty Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, circa 1960.




I didn't have the ingredients for a pie crust, which was okay by me since I wasn't really in the mood for pie.

But I just wanted something warm and yummy for this cold, rainy night.

I found a recipe for the biscuit portion of a peach cobbler and voila!

It seriously takes about 30 minutes to prep and bake this dish.

Empty pie filing into an 8x8 glass baking dish. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a separate bowl, combine 1 cup flour, 1 Tbs sugar, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt. Cut in 1/4 cup butter, until coarse crumbs appear.

In a small dish mix 1/4 cup milk with a slightly beaten egg. Add to dry mixture. Stir until batter is moistened.

Spoon batter over pie filling.

Pop in the oven for about 20 minutes until done or desired browning is achieved.





Serve immediately piping hot...with vanilla ice cream, of course! I also think it's good by itself at room temperature.

P.S. In the 30 seconds between setting the dish on the counter and grabbing my camera, my mom somehow managed to help herself to some cherry goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment