Friday, January 16, 2009

I'll Fly Away


Someday. And I'm pretty psyched about it. Well, when I think about it.

I recently heard one of my favorite all-time hymns on the radio. It was a bit more jazzed up than what may be found in your traditional Sunday service. It's a song that had always resonated with my as a kid, probably because it first reminded me of my grandma. As I grew, I noticed it always stirred some excitement me. Now, I'm not one who is usually into hymns, at least traditional old-people hymns. But of the few that I really enjoy, this has to be one of my favorites.

It is also one that challenges me. I feel like I spend a whole heck of a lot of time concerned about the ephemeral. Don't get me wrong--there is a lot to be said for striving to live a life worthy of being considered a Christ follower. Christ says as much throughout the New Testament. But why do we (ahem, that's a resounding I) strive so hard for the things of this life when our hearts and souls really belong to another place, our true home, a place of eternal awesomeness? (Yes, I know what I just said and, well, I meant it.) I am a firm believer in working on being content with our current life circumstances while simultaneously longing for home. I don't think anyone would say that it's an easy balance to achieve, but I am positive that it possible.

For me, I hope to let my mind linger on thoughts of heaven far more than I have in the past. And, if I've been neglectful, hopefully God will give me a little nudge by playing a song or two to remind me.

There are a million variations and lyrics to this song, but here is one of the more traditional versions:

I'll Fly Away

Some bright morning when this life is over
I'll fly away
To that home on God's celestial shore
I'll fly away

I'll fly away oh glory
I'll fly away
When I die hallelujah by and by
I'll fly away

When the shadows of this life have gone
I'll fly away
Like a bird from these prison walls I'll fly
I'll fly away

Oh how glad and happy when we meet
I'll fly away
No more cold iron shackles on my feet
I'll fly away

Just a few more weary days and then
I'll fly away
To a land where joys will never end
I'll fly away


Indeed, we will!

No comments:

Post a Comment